Sunday, March 7, 2010

Perspective

We had a large water main break that has affected around 100,000 people! The break has affected a HUGE area. By the time I left work yesterday, I just assumed my water would be fixed. I would go home and make dinner, wash dishes, and have the kids shower!
Wrong! We went out for dinner. Had to buy gallons of water. Came home and heated said water and poured it into the sink for everyone to wash up! I have been melting snow to flush the toilet. I did not realize how much water I use until I don't have it to use. It is just one of the many things I take for granted.
Gave me a fresh perspective on water. I guess I am spoiled to the luxury of running water. I turn it on and there it is. I could not imagine having to carry all my water, then heat the water to use...everyday. And better yet, not having clean water. Being without water for 2 days has really made me think about all the people in other countries who have NEVER had the luxury that I am now whining about! I mean seriously, limited water, no water, no clean water. And some people walk miles for dirty water, because it is all they have.
I came across The Water Project this morning! It is an organization set on helping get clean water to areas of countries with no water or no clean water supplies. They do this by way of fresh water wells or water tanks. This is a break down of how a small donation can affect these areas.
$10 - One Person's Clean Water

$50 - Give a Family Clean Water

$250 - Water for a Classroom

$1,000 - Purchase a Well Pump

$4,500 - Fund an Entire Well

Will you consider donating to help get water to areas in need? I know after my 2 day hiatus of no water, I will!!

3 comments:

Momof3inVA said...

That is such a great project! But, wow, that is an expenseive well pump!

Hope you get your water back on!!!

Better Known As Mommy said...

Yeah it is expensive for a well. But it is bringing a well into an area with no water supply. I would love to help with that, however it is way out of my means. My donation will just be used where they see fit I suppose.
Still no water here, but thankfully my mother in law has water so we will travel there for our immediate needs.

By the way I like your new display picture. Very nice!!

S.I.F. said...

That is an incredible program! WOW! I think I would go crazy without normal water use... I just can't imagine. What a beautiful cause!